Shows Online Guidelines
- Copy of the dressage test
- Arena or flat surface either 20×40 or 20×60 (check the test for the correct size)
- Video camera and someone to film your test
- Computer to transfer your video from the camera.
Things you need to do
- Enter a class – we publish a schedule of classes
- Learn the test or arrange to have a caller
- Have a friend or acquaintance video you while you ride the test. Keep the sound on, you can have the test called but no instructions given.
Acceptable Dress and Tack
- Dress can be informal but tidy, if a show jacket or hacking jacket is worn, then the horse or pony must wear boots or bandages to clearly demonstrate that the test has not already been judged.
- Riding hats must be worn. BSI Standard hats or other such protective headwear is strongly advised and compulsory for those under 18 years of age. Suitable footwear with a heel and gloves must be worn for safety reasons.
- Gloves must be worn.
- Bridles should be used as follows: – ordinary snaffle; Nosebands must be worn, a drop, cavesson or flash with a snaffle. Other tack: martingales, side, running or elasticised reins may not be used in any competition class.
- Neck straps or balancing straps (a loop on the front of the saddle) may be used at all levels in the tests. Cruppers are also allowed
- Boots or bandages are allowed to be worn.
- Spurs and a whip may also be used.
- No martingales or bits that don’t conform to Dressage Ireland rules
- If you plan to wear competition dress, pop some boots or bandages on your horse to demonstrate that the test hasn’t been ridden at a live competition
- You state your name and the test clearly, to the camera before you ride your test.
- Gloves must be worn
- Horse and rider combinations may not enter a competition class more than one level below their highest entry.
Quick tips on filming
- Film from C, the judge’s position
- Avoid excessive zooming in or out – the judge will need to see the shapes and patterns of the test, but some zooming is necessary for the judge to see the rider at the far end of the arena
- Try to keep the horse and rider in the centre of the frame
- Start filming the rider as they state their name and the test that they are riding, horse and rider enters at A and finish as they exit at free walk on a long rein
Uploading your test
Upload your video by the end of the month – no exceptions will be made. Just cut and paste your video link into your application form. This can be either a link from your facebook page or your Youtube account.
What happens next?
- When your video has been judged we’ll post the results online. We will let you know where and when, you can pick up your scoresheet, ribbons and prizes.
- Tests will be judged within 7 days of the competition closing at the end of every month
- Scores will be posted on the scoreboard on our website.